Monday, June 16, 2008

Teaching English...Enseñando Inglés

Teaching...
Okay, I can´t relate to what a teacer goes through, neither teaching older kids in a university setting nor children in low income schools in the inner city. BUT, I can tell you a cool story.
This past weekend and until tuesday I am on a sight visit, visiting another volunteer out in place call Aregua. Aregua is a really pretty area that many of the volunteers fight to get placed at. I will try and post pictures and video soon.
So, continuing with teaching, I arrived Saturday morning and walked to the municipality where the other volunteer works on Sats. I get to the Muni. and can´t find the other volunteer. I finally ask someone where the other american is. They take me to the courtyard and at one end of the courtyard I see my other volunteer on the escenario (´´stage´´ I think) with a lot of desks and students sitting in them trying to learn english. I walk up with my big bags and join the group. I look around at about 20 bright eyed little young boys and girls staring up at a Peace Corps volunteer, with good spanish, but a not so good accent, teaching the children english. The kids were attentive and the kids were learning a lot and asking really astute questions. I really wish I would have taken a picture because the picture looked just like what you would see on the Peace Corps mailings, advertisements and propaganda. The Kids sat in a big circle and tried their best to say hi to me in English. I sat there for about 2 hours but during that time period the kids were asking me questions about how to form sentences and all the easy stuff that is usually confusing for first time english learners. Karla, I especially wish that you could have been there to not only answer their questons, but to feel how it feels to be able to answer a simple questions and see the satisfaction that comes over the kids face from feeling like they are learning something REALLY cool and new. Perhaps you have felt that when working witht the interational students on campus. Also, I think you would have enjoyed it because you could have spoken to them in Spanish that they could have better understood.
I think I better understand the challenges a teacher faces. They are some of the greatest, but I also think that the reward a teacher gets from seeing their students grow and learn is one of the greatest also. In other words, big rewards come from great challenges.
Ensenando....

Bueno, no puedo indentificarme con los dificultades que un profesor se tiene que enfrentar en la clase, ni en una situacion universitaria ni una escuela con escasos recursos en la ciudad. Sin embargo les puedo contar un cuento muy lindo.
El fin pasado fue a vistar a otro voluntario en su sitio en un lugar que se llama Areguá. Fui de viaje por autobus de una hora norte de Asuncion. Es un lugar precioso con vistas de maravilla, una iglesia bella que esta ubicada un una loma con bellas vistas sobre un lago lindo.
Bueno, llegue a la municipalidad en busca del otro voluntario. Pregunte al seguridad por el otro americano. Me llevó al jardin principal y al fondo de un lado estvó el otro voluntaro en el esencario con pupitres y unos 20 alumnos de 11 a 14 años enseñando el ingles. Me acerque al esenario y deje mi equipaje a un lado y me senté. En un circulo estaban todo los estudiantes con ojos brillantes fijados en el voluntario del cuerpo de paz, e esuchando al voluntario con español bueno, pero un accento horrible. Los niños le hacia preguntas buenas y bien astutas. Quisieras que hubiera sacado fotos por que la vista y ambiente fue igualito que los que vemos en los folletos de Cuerpo de paz y los video que un apirante ve la propaganda. Estuve yo, unos 2 horas, pero en esas 2 hora me hacian preguntas en como se forma oraciones y conjuga verbos y sustantivos. En tan poco tiempo nos hicimos amiguitos. El dia siguiente casa todo el pueblo de Aregua supo que el Americano (Josh mi compañero) tenia otro amigo visitandole de EEUU. Karla quisiera que estuvieras no solo para contestar los preguntas con mas eficaz que nosotros pero tambien saber como se siente poder contestar las preguntas de los niños y ver la satisfacion en sus ojos al pensar que estan aprendiendo algo importante y tambien ver en los ojos de ellos que se sienten el orgullo de haber aprendido un poco de ingles. Tal vez has sentido es eseñando los alumnos en la unversidad con los estudiantes del extranjero. Tambien te hubiera dado mucho gusto poderles explicado en castellano perfecto.
Creo que ahora entiendo los retos que los profesores tienen que batallar. Son dificilisimo. Pero a la vez la recompensa al ver a un alumno que entienda o que por fin capturo la esencia de tal leccion es un algo que siente muy lindo tambien.
Mark


1 comment:

Unknown said...

MI querido Mark, te felicito por tus experiencias tan maravillosas, pero sobre todo, por la enorme persona que eres. Te mando un fuerte abrazo desde STW, OK.

Tu amigo
Kike Sanchez,OSU